Pepper & Cumin Rasam
Happy Curry Week All! Today it is Pepper & Cumin Rasam; It is a clear soup from South India. It is an extremely delectable all-rounder dish. Have it has an appetiser, mix it with rice and eat. It is an excellent remedy and relief for a cold. I have used tomato instead of Tamarind a significant variation and which is readily available.
To serve 4 – 1 litre
- Tomato (3 ripe medium-size tomatoes) or (1/2 can of chopped tomatoes)
- Jeera: 1 Tbsp
- Pepper: 1 Tbsp
- Curry Leaves: Few (can omit in unavailable)
- Red Chilly: 2 (medium sized)
- A handful of chopped Coriander
- Chop or blend tomato in a blender add 500 ml of water.
- Add salt, very few curry leaves (you can omit if it is not available) and boil the tomato water for ten mins.
- In a Pan, add two tsp of ghee and roast the pepper, Jeera and red chillies for 2 to 3 mins. Allow this roasted mix to cool down for few mins and grind them in a mixer or pestle. You can grind them first without adding water as a fine powder and then add little water and grind them to make it as a coarse paste.
- Add this paste to the boiling tomato water and stir well and allow this to boil for 5 more mins stirring at regular intervals.
- Add 2 tsp of ghee in the Pan, add mustard seeds and while it starts spluttering, add it to the Rasam and add little more curry leaves to the Rasam and switch off the stove.
- Add a handful of chopped coriander.
Yummy Pepper Jeera Rasam is ready! Serve it hot!!
ALSO CHECK: How Does Diet affect Mental Health