Sweet Potato, Spinach and Chickpea Curry
Sweet Potato, Spinach and Chickpea Curry Ingredients and Method
- Three sweet potatoes
- 1 x 400 g tin chickpeas
- 400 g pre-washed spinach
- Two red onions
- One fresh red chilli
- 3cm piece of ginger
- One bunch of fresh coriander
- Eight ripe tomatoes or 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 ml tin light coconut milk
- Three teaspoons curry powder
- Olive Oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Peel, finely slice and add the onion along with the curry powder, mix well, then cook for 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Finely chop the chilli, then peel and finely grate the ginger. Pick the coriander leaves and finely slice the stalks. Chop the sweet potatoes into 2cm chunks.
- Add the chilli, ginger, coriander stalks and sweet potato to the softened onion. Drain and add in the chickpeas, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Roughly chop and add the fresh tomatoes or tip in the tinned tomatoes. Add 200ml of water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, then cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, then cook for a further 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sweet potato is cooked through and the sauce thickened.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook for a couple of minutes, then stir in the spinach and cook until wiltedVariation spicy version Add three more fresh chillies and two more teaspoons of curry powder. Serve it with brown basmati rice or plain rice.
ALSO CHECK: Red Pepper and Halloumi Salad