1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, warm up the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and garlic and allow to soften, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the spices, give everything a stir and allow them to cook for a minute or two.
4. Add the lentils, bay leaves and water.
5. Bring the water to a gentle boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the beans, tomatoes and broth.
7. Bring it back to a boil and let it bubble gently away for 20 minutes.
8. Give it a taste and check it for seasoning – you might want to add a little salt and pepper.
9. Serve the chili over rice or cornbread and what ever toppings your family likes.
1 can (19oz) Black beans, canned (drained, rinsed)
2 leaf Bay leaf
1/4 cup Cilantro (coriander) (chopped, topping)
2 tbsp Chili powder
1 tsp Cumin
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
4 clove(s) Garlic (minced)
1/2 cup Lentils, canned
1 can (19oz) Navy beans, white, canned (drained, rinsed)
1/4 cup Salsa, ready-to-serve (topping, optional)
1/4 tsp Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 cup Vegetable stock/broth, low sodium
2 cup Water
2 can (15oz) Whole tomato, canned
1 medium Yellow onion (chopped)
Beans and Lentils are excellent sources of plant-based protein and are high in fiber which helps to promote healthy digestion!
Dietary servings Per Portion
Meat Alternative 0.8
Like the recipe? Please enter your email on the footer and click subscribe to get a copy of the e-book of 25 delicious high protein recipes for athletic performance & weight loss