Butternut Sweet Potato Curry
An Orange feast pleasing to the eye and pleasant to taste and an amalgamation of all the vitamins and nutrients that you can have!!
- Butternut squash is a good source of fibre, potassium, and several other vital nutrients.
- The nutritional content of squash makes it beneficial for digestion, blood pressure, and healthy skin and hair, among others.
Sweet Potatoes are antioxidant powerhouses
They’re a good source of vitamins C and A
Sweet potatoes help regulate blood pressure
They may help support weight loss
To serve 4
- One onion, cut into chunks
- 2–3 dried red chillies, for a spicy version add 6 to 7 chillies.
- 50gm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Two garlic cloves halved
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander or 50gm coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Add salt according to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut mil
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- One butternut squash (500 gm), peeled, de-seeded and cut into bite-sized piece
- a handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- juice of 2 limes
Fry the onion, chillies, ginger, garlic, ground coriander, cinnamon one tablespoon of coconut oil and blend it in a blender after cooling it for 5 minutes. Add a little bit of water to make the paste smooth.
Heat the coconut or vegetable oil in a wide lidded heavy-based casserole, then fry the paste for about 1 minute, stirring well.
Add the tin of coconut milk into the paste and then add turmeric powder stirring everything together over the heat for two minutes, followed by tinned tomatoes, then the sweet potato and squash. Stir well, bring to the boil and, once bubbling, turn down the heat, put the lid on and simmer for 40–50 minutes (though start checking at 30) until the sweet potatoes are soft and the squash cooked thoroughly. Check for seasoning, then leave to stand off the heat for 10 minutes or so before serving.
Squeeze the lime juice and add chopped coriander.
Enjoy it with brown basmati rice.